Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yet Another Cake Story

So, it dawned on me last Wednesday night before I went to bed that we would be going out of town Thursday afternoon and wouldn't be back until very late Monday night. Tuesday was the birthday. I decided I need to figure out what cake I was going to make for her and get them baked Thursday morning so I could throw them in the freezer before we left. Thursday I starting doing a little searching. Miss Thing caught on to what I was doing at some point and then started offering her opinion. She pointed to the same type of cake no matter what page I had brought up on the computer screen. So that sort of clinched it. A castle cake it is.

I pulled them out of the freezer Tuesday afternoon and while they thawed just a little I stirred up my frosting (I was in a hurry. I used store bought, not as good, but it was pink and she didn't care). I'm not sure where my head was (probably back in bed) but I forgot to take pictures while we were decorating it so you're stuck with the final product. I don't think it was the best cake I've put together, but with the amount of time I had I think it turned out pretty cute. She liked it, that's all that matters I suppose.


I kind of gathered ideas from a few places. I baked two boxes of cake mix in square pans, I tried to make four but one of them fell apart when I was pulling it out so we ended up with 3. I layered two for the bottom tier. Then I cut the third cake into fourths and layered two of the quarters for the second tier. The third tier is on of the quarters cut down to size and stuck on top.

I also used sugar cones and dipped them in white chocolate then stuck them in the freezer to set. I tried to stick gum drops and then a strawberry whopper on top but it wasn't staying so I cut the tips off of the cones. The doors and windows are strawberry wafer cookies and then we sprinkled the whole thing with star sprinkles, that's the part that she helped with. I also sprinkled some pink crystal sprinkles all over and they stuck nicely to the cones.

It was fun to do and fun for her to help me with. Since it was her cake I tried to be a little more relaxed about it and let her have it however she wanted it. For our next birthday I now know I need to give myself more time, especially if we leave town for the weekend!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Very cute. She looks so grown up in that picture!

SuSu said...

Great cake! Great fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails