Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Five Years Ago

Five years ago, today, I became a mom. Five years ago my world changed. Five years ago my boy was born.

For the past few weeks I have been reliving five years ago. A week or so before Christmas I was walking the halls of the Widstoe building studying for finals, 8 months pregnant. I still had a good four weeks until my due date, or so I thought. My professors wondered if I was trying to hurry things along as I waddled past their offices. The day after Christmas I went to Park City with my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and her husband for some shopping fun. We had to cut it short when there was talk of road closures. We drove home in a blizzard. Later my mil said had she known I was so close to delivering there is no way that she would have taken me, it was a fun memory.

January 6, 2004. It was the second day of winter semester. For whatever reason, that I can't remember, I had to take the truck to school that day. It hadn't been driven for a couple of weeks. It was covered in snow and ice. I missed the first bus to campus. By the time I got to school I was late and my classmates and professor were starting to wonder about me. When I walked in every one looked at me with shock in their faces. They thought I was at the hospital having a baby. I laughed them off and went to work. Fast forward a few hours. I was sitting in a lecture about 20 minutes into it and I felt a contraction. Although I didn't really know it was a contraction. It was just a noticeable something! Seven minutes later there was another one. I sat through the rest of the lecture watching the clock. When the class was over I headed upstairs for lab (keep in mind I didn't actually know I was beginning labor, and it was my first baby I really had no idea what I was doing in the first place).

I didn't want a fuss made about my current situation so I told only my lab partner. She, sweetly, hurried around collecting any all materials that I should need. We sat a timer in between us to time my contractions (by this point I was 97% sure that they were contractions). They were about four minutes apart and very uncomfortable. (Remember I still don't' know what I'm doing!) I forged on, not feeling like I could leave. I had so much to do!

The time finally came for me to leave. I walked to the bus stop with my head down, doing all I could to get there. Then I sat on the bus, with my head down, hoping no one would feel the need to strike up a conversation with the very pregnant lady. I drove home constantly checking the clock, 3 minutes apart. This was getting annoying! My due date was still two weeks away, there is no way I could be in labor. As soon as I got home I laid down and called my sister. I can still hear my words, "I need you to tell me if I'm in labor." And hers "What?!" She sat with me on the phone while I was contracting away and waiting for David to get home. For some reason it seemed like he was later than usual. This probably having largely to do with the fact that I was more uncomfortable than I had ever been in my life, every three minutes.He finally made it home. We lived in a split level apartment. I sat on the bottom steps and he was come down the top steps, having just gone to the kitchen. I said "I think I'm in labor," and he said "Why?" I recounted my day. Still somewhat unsure about it all he thought he would time a contraction or two. I indulged him, I knew it wouldn't take long. He got down his trusty Atomic Clock, 2 1/2 minutes. He moved faster than I had ever seen him move. Changing his shirt, grabbing my bag, bringing the car around, helping me out to the car. Things were starting to get blurry as I was in increasing pain.

We made it to the hospital a little before 7 in the evening. My biggest fear was that I would be sent home. I knew that this baby was coming soon. I was dilated to a 3 and an hour later at a 4. I wasn't going anywhere. My brother, and his wife and baby, and my sister were there before too long. David's sister and her husband came too. As well as his other sister and brother. It felt like things were happening fast and yet I was so exhausted. I opted to have an epidural, not sure if I had the energy to keep going. Unfortunately my labor seemed to slow, but I was able to rest. And rest is what I needed, I had no idea what was ahead of me. Sometime before midnight the nurse announced that I needed to start pushing. So I did, and kept doing it for the next hour and half. There were times that I would fall asleep in between contractions and pushing. Finally at 1:26 a.m. My William Boy was born.
Little did I know that there was more to come. I didn't get to hold him before they whisked him away to evaluate him. Finally David brought him back to me and told me what the nurse and the respiratory therapist had told him (why it was these two telling him their "suspicion", instead of a doctor is something we've never figured out) "He has Down syndrome." At that moment I felt calm and peace like I had never experienced. I surprised even myself with my reaction. It didn't seem to mater. I drew on these feelings in the stormy days that followed.

And the storms did come, sometimes they still come. Now they are few and far between. I just can't believe that was 5 years ago. I remember it all like it was last week. During that first week of his life both he and I received many prayers and blessings. One particular blessing was given by my brother when he was 4 days old, with jaundice. He was blessed to grow up like a typical little boy. In so many ways that is exactly what his life has been like. Words cannot express the joy that this little boy has brought to my life, and to everyone he meets!

And now here are a few of my favorite things about William...

  • He is quite funny, and knows he is funny. I can often find him as we are all loading into the car, standing next to the car looking at his reflection making faces and then giggling uncontrollably.
  • He is very helpful, most of the time. He is our Light Turner On-er. When we come home he is always the first one to run into the house and turn the kitchen light on. He lights the way!

  • He is usually worried about everyone else. If we are trying to leave and his dad is trying to get him out to the car he usually won't come out until he sees that I have all my things gathered up and am headed for the door.
Do you wish this boy lived at your house yet?
  • He is in love with his sisters! Especially the little one. If she is crying or fussing he is the first to go over and rub her head and whisper sweet nothings to her. I love it!

  • He is very forgiving. When I get upset with one or all of them he himself gets very upset and is the first to come hug me.

  • The kid loves ice cream like there is no tomorrow. There are times when he comes in to wake his dad or I up and the first thing he does is ask for ice cream (at 6:30 in the morning!)
Happy Birthday Buddy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Prince William! With love from your Utah (and Idaho) Giants.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Buck! As I was reading, I was reliving that night on the phone and the emotion that came that night. You were so brave. A lot has happened in these 5 years and what a blessing William has been to all of us.

Gigiss said...

I think that this post reminds me of something that I have long believed: that you possess a brilliantly sweet sense of courage that I admire deeply.

And it introduces a thought that should have occurred to me long ago: Master William is very, very blessed that you are his mom.

Best Birthday Wishes to him!

Rachel said...

I loved reading your experience! What a little man you have!

Jean said...

It just doesn't seem like it's been that long.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails