Friday, May 29, 2009

The Long Road Home

Both there and back the driving time was probably around 7 1/2 hours or so. That was the time spent driving. To actually get there took a bit longer. Due to the nature of our little travelers stopping was required. Let's just say that travel is not Miss Thing's strong suit. It never has been and I'm trying to accept the fact that it never will be. So long as I'm the one driving her around anyway. I hope when she is grown and traveling with her own children she doesn't sit and cry and whine and scream for hours at a time. We'll see.


Coming home David had a place in mind he wanted to stop for dinner. A pizza place he had stopped at with his dad in January when he had gone to Austin. We got a BBQ Chicken and a combination. In other words the kids and I had BBQ Chicken Pizza and David had a combination pizza. Ours was very good. It was a nice little break in the driving.


Before we got to the pizza we had another stop. There were a number of signs for "Fried Pies." With those two words being used together so frequently there was no way David wasn't stopping. It was, I'm not even sure how to describe it, a hole-in-the-wall-in-the-middle-of-Oklahoma doesn't seem to quite do it justice. In a gas station no less. I didn't think it was being used as a gas station any more but David thought it was. And it was packed. Full of people. We thought we would be in and out but we were there for probably 10 minutes or maybe even more. Wow was it worth it!

We got five, or so, different kinds and I'm beginning to wonder why we didn't get one of everything! Each one I have had was oh so very good. We shared a pineapple one in the car and because it was hot and fresh, oh my word it was heaven. We also got coconut cream pie, pecan pie (David took that one to work and said it was amazing), chocolate, lemon and blackberry.


It's worth a trip to Oklahoma, I'm telling ya they were that good!

I'm sorry I have no pictures of one all alone and uneaten. Once they came out of the bag they were consumed!

1 comment:

SuSu said...

Sounds like you need to send this info to Guy........sounds like a triple "D" episode!! Yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails