This past weekend we traveled up to Omaha. On Saturday was our Ward Temple Trip. We took the opportunity to go up Friday evening to make Saturday not such a rough day of traveling for all of us. Friday morning we got up and took the kids swimming. The pool was amazing! It started at nothing and gradually got deeper. It was such an awesome pool.

My kids love water, that's not a huge secret. It took The Boy a while to figure out that he could stand up, then fall down, then stand up again. Once he got that down that's all he wanted to do. He would walk/run in the pool away from his dad and then fall under water and then jump up and laugh and laugh. It was so funny to watch.

Here he is telling his dad to stay back, this kid cracks me up!
Miss Thing was a lot less sure of herself in the water. I felt so ashamed that I could be raising a child who is fearful of the water. I told David it would be like him having a son that didn't want to do Scouts. He got it. After a while she settled in (when will I figure out that things just take her a while, but once she's ready she'll settle in?) She loved the fact that she could lay down or crawl around in the pool and kick and splash to her hearts content. Although I was a little sad that she seemed to have much more fun when I wasn't in the water with her.
After this experience I felt determined to go home and get them both signed up for swimming lessons. I was quite dismayed to find that for her age the only lessons would be a parent/toddler swim class. That doesn't work for me. I'm highly annoyed especially since I spent many a summer teaching kids her age to swim while their parents sat by the side of the pool and watched, completely dry. Right now my plan is just to take them to the pool with some amount of frequency this summer. We haven't ever done that before. The summers past were spent like the winters and falls, with me working at night and sleeping during the day. I'm getting excited for summer!

Then there was Little Miss. She loves the bath. As much as such a baby could love a bath. We weren't surprised to find that she was quite content to just lay there and splash and splash. We put her out in our baby inner tube and she was as pleased as punch with that too. It's nice to have someone who can go along with everything!
Isn't she cute? David gives me such a hard time for always taking pictures, but I don't care. Then I get to sit back and look at how much fun they had. How much fun we had. I get to be reminded of how cute they really are (as opposed to when they are screaming at me or waking up at all hours, they aren't so cute then).
The rest of the day was spent watching kids or attending the temple. It was a wonderful day. I love to be reminded of the beautiful spirit felt at the Winter Quarters Temple. We took a few moments to walk around the cemetery where I was again reminded of the sacrifices of my ancestors. Ancestors who, in this case, lost their father and then left their home country and traveled to this spot only to loose their mother. And yet they carried on, with great faith, and built a life and a family in Salt Lake. I love to be reminded of these things. These stories. They are what makes me, me. I feel so blessed!
3 comments:
Great post. Looks like you will have a great summer of water fun! Love the suits ;-)
What a great day at the pool.
So fun! I LOVE swimming and Cyrena loves it as long as we are all alone in the pool. If there are other people, it freaks her out. So far Natalie LOVES the water as much as I do. Keep it up and I'm sure they'll be little fishies like their momma soon!
Post a Comment