Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Morning Woes

Most of my mornings are filled with fights. Sounds awful, I know. Despite what everyone here thinks I get very little enjoyment out of it.
If I'm not fighting with him,

I'm fighting with her. Don't let that pretty face fool you.

This morning was particularly wearing on me. I've been fighting a cold that keeps trying to come on, I was tired and well, those are my two reasons. Getting The Boy ready in the morning requires a lot of energy on my part. He likes to eat his breakfast at the counter but often just messes around until I drag him off to the bathroom or his room to get dress {fight}. I've tried timers {fight}, starting earlier to give him more time {fight}, getting dressed first {fight} nothing really seems to work. He never finishes his breakfast and I'm always rushing to get him ready for the bus. One day this week the bus showed up and he was in nothing but a pull-up. That was not a fun morning.

So this morning I tried to change venues for the breakfast eating. From the counter to the table {big fight}. You would have thought I told him the world was about to end. He fought and cried and cried and fought. Have I mentioned that The Boy struggles with change? He finally did eat his cereal, kind of, through all the crying. During all of this I will say that I was not the epitome of what a patient mom looks like. Finally I drug him off to the bathroom to get dressed and ready. So he was mad because he had to eat his breakfast at the table. Then he was mad because I made him go to the bathroom. Then he was mad because he wanted to go "bubye." {uh, hello?! That's the purpose of this exercise!} Then we was mad when we had to get dressed. Once we finally got shoes and jacket on he grabbed his blanket and pointed to the couch.

And we sat there. No crying. No fighting. We just sat and snuggled until the bus came and took him away. That little thing changed everything. I was able to calm down. He was able to calm down. And I think both our days will be better because of it.

2 comments:

SuSu said...

Sometimes all it takes is a snuggle to get us back on track. Hope you are feeling better today.

Amy said...

I wish I had some magic trick to help your mornings go more smooth. I hope your has improved. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails