Friday, June 7, 2013

Birthday Adventure: The Camping Experience

A month or so ago we did a little “pretend camping.” Where we load up our camping chairs and marshmallows and head to a camp site to have a little fire. We even took the dogs. It was a perfect evening. The kids could run around and we could sit and relax. We decided that we need to take them camping more. They’re at the perfect age. And when we brought it up to them there was much cheering. So we started working out a plan to go on a little camping trip over the Memorial/birthday weekend. We did a little research and found a place not too far but they were already booked, as it was a little close to the holiday weekend. We did some more thinking and planning and at some point MT comes into the room with a magazine opened to a page of Mount Rushmore (or as she calls it “Mountain Mushmore”) and says, “I want to go there.” And then before I knew it we were planning a 5 day adventure to South Dakota.

But we still decided to camp while we were there. The kids, in a word, were in heaven.

Now when I say “camp” let me be clear. That does mean that I will sleep in a tent with an air mattress. But it also means I need a real bathroom with a shower. And we need electricity. So yes it was camping but it wasn’t “roughin’ it” camping. To be clear.

DSC_0001

Our first night there. They were more excited than it appears. But we’d had a long day of driving that involved waking up at 4 in the morning. Not. My. Idea.

DSC_0004

Someone was a little bit in heaven with the kids.

DSC_0016

In the mornings I made pancakes. The add water kind. I didn’t go too crazy.

DSC_0022

DSC_0014

He insisted we bring Tang. Something about that’s what you drink when you go camping. Whatev’

DSC_0029

Our little campsite.

DSC_0012

The bathrooms were pretty close. We could see them from where we were camping. So we could send the big kids there and back without going with them. The first morning, though, The Boy was moving a little too fast and had a bad crash. Epic fail. His pride was crushed. He sat in this chair the rest of the morning. If he had to get up he hopped. He kept reminding us of that fall the rest of the day. And then some.

DSC_0033

Like father.

DSC_0035

Like son.

DSC_0043

Like daughter, sort of.

Each day was packed full of stuff that the kids slept very good at night. Even had to wake them up some mornings. Which is saying something. And even I will admit that the camping part was fun. At least it was until the last night when we had a crazy rain/hail storm. That was a bit of a disaster. Of course the kids had fun through it all, though. So I’d say it was a success.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Can't wait to read more about it. :)

SuSu said...

Sounds like grand fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails