I know it’s not technically summer. But really, it’s summer.
In summers past I have gotten myself a bit worked up when it comes to summer plans. I’ve made lists and schedules and jars full of “boredom busters.” I would figure out parks and places for us to go, on the cheap. I would stress about entertaining them all day. I would stew about how to wear them out so they’d sleep well at night.
In short I was using way to much energy stressing about a block of time that would pass whether my people were entertained or not.
Not to mention the fact that all that structure I tried to force on us is just not me. As much as I’ve tried, it just isn’t. I’m grateful my children go to school and are able to learn very well in that environment. I’ve decided to embrace the fact, though, that I don’t provide that for them.
And let me tell you I’m breathing so much easier. Our afternoons are lazy, for the most part. David suggested last week that I put them to work and my first thought was “ugh.” Thinking of things like chore charts I cringed. Then in my “embracing me” attitude I decided I could write a small list of different things that can be done each day. Sometimes the same stuff shows up, and some days are all new things. And let me tell you my house is pretty darn clean.
And guess what else? I let them watch TV in the afternoons. And I’ve stopped stressing about that too. Surely letting my kids watch TV everyday won’t put me in the book of World’s Worst Mom’s. At least I don’t think it will, let me know if I’m wrong. Although I probably won’t do things differently.
We’ve got a good thing going here.
And now a word on these two. All day long they fight like cats and dogs. Yelling and screaming at each other. And other general freaking out. That is until about an hour before bedtime. It’s then that they become the best of friends. Thick as thieves. I sometimes wonder if in their little minds they realize the end of the day is nearing and if they get along they’re less likely to attract the attention of their parents. Which may mean that they’re less likely to have to go to bed on time. So far it hasn’t really worked in their favor but it has given me something to laugh about. And look forward to each day.
Welcome Summer, it’s nice to have you here.
1 comment:
Isn't life so much more enjoyable when we don't sweat over the small stuff. Quite frankly I think TV can be rather calming...generally I fall asleep watching it. Then again that might be an age thing. That said, in my world you rock!
Post a Comment