Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Birthday Adventure: Day 1

And now back to the recap.

Day 1 found us visiting Wind Cave. It didn’t have any stalagmites or stalactite's. For those that knows what that means. It had other formations with names like popcorn and boxwork. And those are their scientific names, by the way.

We were in the way back and the group seemed to be moving faster than we could stay up with. But it was fun to walk through and be behind MT as she kept snapping pictures with her camera. And when I wasn’t moving fast enough The Boy was right behind me pushing, literally, me along. We knew if we kept seeing her flash and hearing the little beeps from the camera that we were going the right way. I missed how many different passages there were but I just knew that it was a lot.

DSC_0056

DSC_0084

DSC_0093

DSC_0107

DSC_0140

DSC_0148

DSC_0151

The ceilings got a bit low at times so David was lucky enough to get a really good look at the different formations.

After the cave we headed north on long, but beautiful drive. Although the way we stopped for a treat.

DSC_0155

Can you drive by a place like this and not stop?

DSC_0159

David, of course, got the purple pie. Can’t remember what all it had although I know it had rhubarb and some other berries. I was kind of lame and stuck with the ice cream in a cone. I’ve been told next time I go someplace with “purple pie” in the title I must eat the purple pie. Message received.

We continued our long drive so we could have our picnic here

DSC_0289

We actually picnicked upstream a bit.

DSC_0205

The water was so so cold but that didn’t stop us from doing a lot of this.

DSC_0215

DSC_0223

DSC_0254269

They were so funny. Any time one person put there feet in one spot the other two had to try the same spot.

DSC_0239

And it was cold each time.

DSC_0315

We then went for a walk to see the falls.

DSC_0294

We would have loved to spend more time there.

DSC_0337

DSC_0351

Hopefully next time!

DSC_0375

DSC_0379

Our last major stop for the day was to Deadwood. We saw a shootout (re-enacted) and found some fun shops with lots of fun treasures.

We ended the day, after our long drive back, with a late dinner at Pizza Hut. We kept finding that with days so full there wasn’t much time to get back and cook dinner. On the plus side though the kids slept good each night. And there was at least one morning that we had to wake people up to get going.

Fun first day!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails