Monday, August 17, 2009

No Tears

From him, or me! It was touch and go a couple of times but we made it through. And no worse for the wear.

The morning started off with a bang. Literally as lightening clapped and thunder thundered me awake right before the alarm was set to go off. The power went out about that time too. But The Boy gets up with no thought to the electricity in our house so up we all were. He had to start his breakfast by flashlight, which I don't think he thought was all that bad. Fortunately the lights came back on and so we were able to get ready a little easier. I have been talking about this day so much that there was little fight from him to get dressed and be ready for the bus.


Once we were dressed and shooed we took some pictures. It was still pouring rain outside so I had gotten out the umbrella, which made him more interested in going outside.

Such a handsome boy. I still can't get over the fact that we're all old enough to do this.
Then we had to come inside, take his glasses off, and wait for the bus. But see? No tears!


Before we knew it the bus was here to pick him up. It's a bigger bus than what he would ride on when he went to preschool. He didn't seem to care. I barely got a kiss from him as he climbed aboard and moved on. He definitely had places to go and people to see!

David came home early for lunch and the four of us went and picked him up. There was a sea of parents wanting to pick up their kindergartners. His para and his teacher, who I talked to for about two seconds at orientation later, said he had a great day. His Granny told me that he passed her classroom as they walked down the hall and he stopped and waved but went along with the rest of the class when the para nudged him a little. She also told me that there was another kindergartner (not in his class) that screamed much of the morning and just plain didn't want to be there. Once she could tell it wasn't The Boy she closed her door.
All these things have made my breathing easier today. While I was at orientation, sitting there in that teeny tiny chair I was starting to think too much and was feeling a little overwhelmed by it all. As they were going over all the curriculum for the year and the things that the kids should be doing at different points in the school year that all too familiar prick started to get to me. I hate not hold high expectations but I had to tell myself that he probably wouldn't be doing many of those things. I know he will at some point just probably not on the timeline of all the other kids in his class. I hate feeling that way. And hated more that I had made it almost to the end of the day with no tears. I took a deep breath and tried to imagine all the good things that he will be doing, instead of the things he won't.
Tonight when he was supposed to be in bed going to sleep he came out and said "bubye." I told him not until he goes to bed first but in the morning the bus would come and get him and he could go to school. With that he nodded and ran and got back in bed. I suppose that's my sign. The sign that we are really ready and it is really okay that we're here. And that, maybe, I should stop thinking so much.

5 comments:

Brittani said...

I am hoping it gets easier with every child, but my mother or four tells me know. This year was no easier and I am still mourning the loss of my daughter. I am so glad William is excited and ready and happy to go....so good!

Ashley Allred said...

how awesome! i love the pics. william is so cool! how lucky he is to have a cool mommy!

SuSu said...

I hear ya about thinking......I'm stopping the practice all together. I think my life will be much simpler if I do!

Erin said...

I totally get the expectation thing you're talking about. It hurts a little bit. I think it always will. But you are right--focus on the positive!

Mel said...

Our kids must be similarly spaced. I sent my eldest off this year, and although he is outgoing we have had teething problems, and my girl started kindy and she is the clingy one, so that was hard with many tears and quilt for me, and Luke is yet to come. Hang in there Mommy :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails