Thursday, August 6, 2009

Called To Serve

The real reason for our trip to Salt Lake was to send Brandon, our nephew, off on his mission. Which I feel funny saying because we had very little to do with his being fed and clothed throughout the nineteen years of his life. And even less to do with preparing every needful thing to get him on this mission. Although I was informed, very early on in the David-Kimberly relationship that should anything happen to his parents David (and therefore me) would "get" him. Perhaps I should said we went Salt Lake to be with his family while they sent him off on a mission. I don't know. All I know is that I provide the baby/small children fix for everyone. I do my part.

Anyway, Brandon has been called to serve in the Rapid City South Dakota Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He entered the Missionary Training Center on July 29th. That morning we had breakfast with his family and then I wanted a few pictures of him and my kids before we headed to Provo. My goal, while he is on his mission, is to once a month have us write a letter to him and the kids can draw pictures. I wanted a picture of them with him to show them while we're doing this letter-writing-picture-coloring sessions.


Miss Thing was less than pleased with this. She has her favorites and unfortunately Brandon isn't one of them.

We started bribing her with candy.

Which helped get a little bit of fakeness out of her.

Once she got her candy and "her" Cherie, all was right with the world. She is high on the favorite list. When my sister asked her who her favorite aunt was the answer: Cherie. When Granny asked who she liked more Granny or Cherie she thought a long time and then never really gave a straight answer. "I like Granny," then two seconds later, "I like Cherie."

Once we got to Provo and parked across the street from the MTC picture taking ensued.

As well as all the antics. It is important to note when I first met Brandon, when he was eleven or twelve I was taller than him. Very important to note.

Here is just one of the adults that my children wrapped around their finger during our visit.

Here's another one.

And another.

Before we knew it, it was time to say our goodbyes and send him off. His mom, dad and brother drove him over to the MTC (one car per missionary) while we headed off on our next adventure.
Good luck, Elder Bush and good luck South Dakota!

4 comments:

Erin said...

It's great to see pictures of the Bush family. It's been a long time since we've seen them. I can't believe Brandon is old enough to go on a mission!

SuSu said...

Awesome. Love the missionary moments!

Mary and Dean said...

wow, I can't believe he's that old. Crazy! Here's a fun fact, Dean's friends Mike and Jill, her parents were mission presidents of that mission 8 or so years ago and now they are serving as temple presidents of the Rapid City Temple. Cool hu? So send the word that if he meets the President and Matron Reese they're as good as family.

Mary said...

How wonderful to have him serving a mission. I'm a convert to the church. I joined when I was 19 and then met my husband a year later. I hope our son and even our daughters choose that path.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails