Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Glimpse

So we made it through the first week of school. I quickly discovered he loves helping me to pack his lunch. So that has become our routine when he gets up in the morning. We pack his lunch, have breakfast, get dressed, make beds and wait for the bus.

Sunday night when I was getting him to bed I told him that the next day was a school day and so when he got up in the morning we had to pack his lunch and get ready for the bus. Monday morning he was up, at 6:30 mind you, working on his sandwich. By the time I got up he had a piece of bread with a little peanut butter spread on it put in a Tupperware. It sounds very cute and endearing now but at 6:30 Monday morning I found no cuteness in it. Even so I love how enthusiastic he has become about school. I was so worried about what a whole day of school was going to be like for him. He has proved me wrong, once again.

Having his Granny there at the school as done much to ease my worry. For the first couple of days she would call me in the evening with a little report on what she had both seen and heard of him. It's like having my own little fly on the wall, I love it! By the second day he had pretty much everyone under his "spell." She had a number of people come up to her, "I just love your grandson!" He does have that way about him. She also was surprised to report that she had been replaced! She had seen him and his para, Mrs. Goody, walk down the all and stuck her head out to see what was up. Mrs. Goody was headed to the restroom. Granny asked The Boy if he would like to stay with her and wait. He was quick to answer "no" he was staying with her and that was that.

One day last week she took her camera to school and handed it over to one of the staff, who throughout the day took a few pictures of The Boy as he was doing different things. I feel so spoiled. I love having a little glimpse of what his day is like.


Here we are getting off the bus. I'm so happy that this year he has a very short bus ride. Last year there were times that he was on the bus for over an hour (and his school was just over a mile away!). He is the last to be picked up before they stop at the school. So he doesn't have time to get himself in trouble, a very good thing.

He looks like such a big kid, I can hardly get over it.

Before school starts we have to line up with the other kids.


Then we walk to our classroom. There he goes!


Once inside we settle down. But our backpack away.

Put our lunch box away.

Then it's time to get to work!


Before too long it's time for lunch. More lining up. But he's so happy about it.
Don't you love his lunchbox? It's a Garfield one. We're going retro. It was his uncle Michael's, that Granny gave us. It's just a few years old (Uncle Michael is the same age as moi, so it can't be that old!)


Every day he either has P.E. or Music in the afternoon. Here I think we are at P.E. Love the red socks, dude. He picks his own socks out, usually.

And then twice a day he meets with Mrs. Cady. On the second day of school they were in her room working on some counting (Of his tomatoes, left from lunch. Just a funny side note.) At one point she had turn or gotten up and was distracted by something else. He stopped what he was doing, grabbed her and pointed back at the table. As if to say, "we're counting here, and here is where you need to be!" He can be so demanding sometimes!
I think the good thing with most of this is that he knows what he is supposed to be doing, and what everyone else is for that matter!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Very nice. I'm so glad he is liking it and into the groove. What fun!

SuSu said...

So so grown up; equally as hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that he is in "big" school. But I love that the school has eyes!

Nicole said...

How fun to have a spy at school! I would love to know what REALLY goes on at school. The perspective of a 6 year old can be quite interesting at times! It looks like he is loving school!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails