Tuesday, September 23, 2008

While You Were Sleeping

I have such a thing for my sleeping babies. When they are brand new it's easy for me to sneak up on them and capture the moment. As they get bigger this becomes more of a challenge, they wake up a little too easily and all too quickly I loose that sense of longing and joy as the screams and whines of a nap cut short begin.
Back to sleep, I'm not sure why it is I just can't get enough memories of them in that peaceful state. Perhaps that is it entirely, it is the one moment when everything is in balance. They have floated off to la-la land and I have time to sit back and remember why I love being a mom. It's those moments of sleep that I can rejuvenate and get ready for more ciaos and unbalance. That is to say there is nothing wrong with the unbalanced. If things were always in balance (if they were always asleep) I couldn't appreciate that time of peace and balance. And it is the time of unbalance when we have the most fun. It's just as important to appreciate the balanced life as the unbalanced life.
As they are adrift in that la-la land I think I can learn a little bit of who they are. Lately when Little Miss is asleep she has taken to sticking her leg out of the cradle, no matter how many times I put it back. She is persistent that one and knows what she needs to be comfortable, no matter how silly it seems. Miss Thing likes to sleep with a blanket (reason #24 that she is just like me), she still needs that extra big of comfort no matter how she is acting or reacting to life. The Boy is ALL OVER the place when he sleeps, it is any wonder that he doesn't fall off the bed. Which is just like him, always moving and always busy. But I think I am learning in this sleep lesson that he does know and understand those limits that we have set, he never does fall out of bed. Whether or not he chooses to accept those limits when he is awake is another matter.
So while I can I think I'll always be looking for those moments of balance so I can capture them in anyway possible. Even if, at times, it does throw my balanced life out the window.

1 comment:

Cristi said...

I totally freak out when I'm not balanced. I really admire you for being able to appreciated the balanced AND the unbalanced moments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails