Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The "Me" in "We"

This can't only be found in our household. It feels like it has been happening in greater frequency lately. Last week David and I were discussing plans (over the phone) for one of our evenings and it went something like this:

David: Have we talked to mom about this Friday?
Kimberly: I did the other day
David: Well, we should probably call her
Kimberly: We should call her?
David: Yes, we should call her

At this point I was getting a little frustrated and, unable to see my face, David was clueless of said frustrations. In my head I had visions of us calling mother, sitting next to each other on the couch with the phone held up to both of our ears, which would be the only way that we could be making the required phone call.

I brought all of these things to his attention at a later date, all he could do was laugh (of course). Thankfully enough time had lapsed that I was able to find humor in the situation. It's something that he does all the time, "We need to make something for the church dinner." "I signed us up to do such-in-such," "We need to call and make this appointment," or my recent favorite "We have a blog!" I am not totally innocent of this tactic. Being home with the kids more I am the one on diaper duty quite a bit more so when he is home I am very quick to say "We need to get the kids' diapers changed." Fully expecting him to jump up and attack the poopy or soggy (or both) diapers with gusto. This rarely happens, at least the gusto part. I also am quick to remind him that we need to take out the garbage, or mow the lawn, etc.

I guess we really do have a great marriage, we do everything together!

3 comments:

SuSu said...

That is awesome......This brings to mind something Dad say's when "we" is in the conversation. "What do you have a mouse in your pocket?" Love the "we".....oh no that's love the "Wii".......lolol!

Jean said...

Kimberly, you are amazing! Your children are adorable, William looks just the same except more grown up and Ruth has the most beautiful eyes. I'm so glad to read that Mary is doing well and her heart problems are working themselves out. We think about you often, I'm so glad we have your blog address so we can keep in touch better. Love to you all. Jean Britton

Cristi said...

OK, so I'm laughing out loud right now. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails