I use met rather loosely. It was more like I attacked them as soon as I saw the precious face of there little baby girl. I descended upon them like some crazed lady and gushed about her. I did tell them why I was gushing, I have two children of my own with Down syndrome. Although I’m pretty sure I came across as a little psycho. I felt psycho the whole time I was talking with them. I have had somewhat of a “don’t talk to strangers” policy since I was a child. I am just not one to go up and strike up a conversations with people I don’t know. It’s just my way. I have a bubble and I stick to it.
Something about their little family struck me, though, and I was drawn to them. They were so in love with their little girl. They gushed about what a good baby she is and how sweet she is. I started to think “sheesh, what’s wrong with me? My children, Down syndrome and not, drive me slightly insane.”
Then I remembered this little family.
And I remembered what it was like to have one baby to love. A baby. That didn’t have too many opinions. Wasn’t overly vocal about them. Was happy to just sit and eat. Sit and play. Sit and make funny faces.
At the time I probably didn’t think it was oh so easy. Looking back now, of course, I realize that one child=accessory. It’s so much different with three kids. Three opinions. And three different people with their different needs. I’m sure there will come a day that I look back and think similar things. That it used to be easier. It certainly doesn’t always feel easy, though.
Yet these experiences,
I’m slowly coming around though. I’m trying to laugh more. I’m trying, hard, to lighten things up. To simply enjoy what is now.
Join the Down Syndrome Awareness Blog Hop!
3 comments:
Oh I forgot how chubby his cheeks were! Such a cute accessory he is.
I love this post. It tears me up.
Great post, so true! I look back to life with two kids, life with one kid, life with no kids and think three is so hard and have to remind myself this really really is what I want to be doing with my life right now, I really love this now.
Post a Comment