The other day I visited The Boy’s class and spoke to them about Down syndrome. Seeing that this is Down syndrome awareness month.
I decided to share with them a few things and features that were common in those with Down syndrome. To do this I took some pictures of the kids to share.
We talked about almond shaped eyes.
About a gap in toes.
We talked about the lines on our hand. And that there was just one hand in our family that had that characteristic single line on their hand.
Then we talked about the heart and how some people with Down syndrome are born with heart problems. I told them that both The Boy and LM were born with holes in their hearts.
We talked about The Boy’s hearing aides and how he needed them to help him hear.
Then I ask them a few questions and asked them to raise their hand if this sounded like them. Here were just a few.
Do any of you fight with your sister or brother?
Get in trouble?
Have to do chores at home?
Complain about doing chores at home?
Like to play basketball?
Have a favorite color?
Like pizza?
Have food you don’t like?
Then I told them that all of those things The Boy could say yes to, too. That even though he has things that are different he has a lot of things that are similar to them as well.
Then I let them ask questions. I loved answering their questions. And I hope they could feel that. My main purpose was to help them understand that it is ok to have questions and ask them. I answered everything from “does he like candy and get hyper?” to “will he always have Down syndrome and can some one get it (like a cold)?” They shared things with me. That they play basketball with him and sometimes he beats them. And not surprisingly they all knew his obsession with orange.
To think I almost wasn’t going to do this, this year. At the encouragement from his angel para I decided I would.
So glad I did.
Spreading awareness one 3rd grade class at a time.
2 comments:
This was beautiful.
So glad you did it too. That is something that will stick with those kids forever!
Post a Comment