Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Really Good News

I love email.

It really is my favorite form of communication.

Yesterday I received the following email from The Boy’s school teacher:

Just wanted to give you some good news and keep you posted on what’s going on at school. We took the STAR test yesterday, which is a computerized comprehension test. Normally each kid reads the entire test themselves and then on each question, have to fill in the blank with the missing word. It is multiple choice. For William, I had his para read the questions and answer choices to him and he had to point or say what the correct answer was, but no additional prompting or help was given. He scored a 1.5, which means he is comprehending at about the same level of a 1st grader mid-way through the year! I thought that was great news that he is understanding what he is reading pretty well if it is read to him.

I almost cried when I read it.

Later when I talked with the para that read him the test she said he was so quick on some of the answers. He didn’t even let her finish reading part of the time.

I learned a long time ago to throw out any and all expectations I might have with my children. It is better for my head when I don’t think that way. I know they’ll reach any and all milestones that we’re up against. The when is up to them.

As far as reading is concerned I realize we still have a ways to go before The Boy is there. But to know he is comprehending what is being read to him makes me feel like we’re just so close.

I just had to share.

DSC_0134_01

Here’s to you Boy.

Here’s. To. You.

7 comments:

SuSu said...

Made me a bit teary myself. That boy is amazing. He knows, he knows, we just don't know what he knows....but he does. Way to go!

Amy said...

That is so awesome! Goose bumps!!!

Ashley Allred said...

What a boy! Like what mama said, he knows, we just don't know what he knows. He is so awesome.

Kristin said...

Way to go! So cool. I'm terrified about Max starting school.

Toni Marie said...

yea for William!

Unknown said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH

Brittani said...

reading is such a scary thing and the comprehension even more. Awesome job buddy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails