Last night as I was settling in watching my Olympics there was a segment on about an athlete that didn't make it to the Olympics because of a training accident. Click Here To Watch. His older brother, David, has Down syndrome. What struck me the most is something that his mother said. It was along the lines of having David in their family has prepared her for this experience. She has learned patience.
I've thought a lot about this. The Boy and I seem to be butting heads a lot lately. He is trying so hard to be independent and do everything himself. Wants to do things his way. Not mine. I know that is the thing that every parent wants, for their child to be independent. For some reason I'm struggling with this. In part because it usually means a huge mess for me. I don't really like messes. So with all of this we just haven't been able to see eye to eye lately. It seems like we do this every so often. And when we do it really gets me down.
Then I saw this video while watching the Olympics last night and things are starting to come together for me. Patience has never been my strong suit. I don't like waiting. And I like waiting on other people even less. But somehow that is what has to come out of this. To think that these experiences of learning patience when my children are young are preparing me for something else is scary to me. It feels like we've been through quite a lot already. More than I ever thought was humanly possible. I know I shouldn't think that way. Life seems to be easier when I don't look too far ahead.
If nothing else I need to be patient while I'm trying to learn patience!
Be patient
5 comments:
I too was very touched by that story last night; it gave me cause to pause about a lot of things in life. I had hoped you were able to see it....the world has lessons for all of us, if we just pause to listen. I was listening.
Oh, I can't see the video because I am not American. How sad is that? Sounds great though. I am not a very patient mother. I try to be. But really I am not. Especially when there is mess involved or I am in a hurry. Need to try harder...
I saw that segment as well and thought it was amazing. We really are taught what we need to be taught aren't we?
Olivia and I were also touched by that story last night. The family seemed so strong about it all. It just goes to show that we can learn something from one trial that might help us with the next.
Independence and patience, two tough things. I have noticed when I give independence I feel like it bites me in the you know what. And the more kids we add, the less patience I have to go around, so you are not alone sister. We have not seen all of last night's olympics (thanks goodness for DVR), so I will have to keep my eye out for that story tonight.
Post a Comment