Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's

 With a Valentine's Day party coming I knew that it would be time for making Valentine's for The Boy's class. In the past I've always done them myself, to make the process faster. This time I really wanted The Boy to help. He's becoming more independant with each day (to the point that it's driving me just a bit crazy) and also much more aware of life around him. I also decided I didn't want to do candy. So I got some craft foam, pencils and pipe cleaners. And away we went.

First I cut the foam into hearts, then I wrote his classmates name on one side. On the other side I wanted him to write his name. I wasn't sure how this was going to work out. I imagined a long evening and lots of redirecting.
But, as he is a pro at doing, he surprised me. In a big way. 24 hearts. He wrote his name on all of them. Without any breaks or redirecting of any kind. He was like a little machine. It was awesome!

Some hearts were better than others. I couldn't get him to start toward the edge, he always wanted to start with the "W" in the middle. No matter. He still got his name, in one way or another, on all 24 of them.

Right on, dude!

After all the writing, I poked a pipe cleaner through the bottom and he wrapped it around the pencil. I was just so proud of the fact that he was actually helping, not just "helping." The whole experience caught me totally off guard. I was so proud I could hardly speak. I thought a lot about it afterward. Having a child (or two) with disabilities I tend to find the most joy, the most "proud moments," out of the littlest things. When he was born I never thought of things like this. Spending an evening making Valentine's for his class. It is such a little thing and not neccessarily one of those things that is important in the "big picture." But it is a big deal, nonetheless. Big to me.

Be proud

5 comments:

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mel said...

He has done a fabulous job, and you should be super proud! One of the things that annoys me about my big boy is that he (6) is so talented but SOOOOO lazy and avoids effort at all costs. And little Luke tries so hard at everything. Such a great quality to have. Ben would struggle to sit and do what William did. That is no small feat. Well done! I'm impressed :)

SuSu said...

Out of small things come great things!! This is definitely a great thing for both of you!

Brittani said...

So cool to see his name written by him. Focused one when he wants to be huh. Very Very Cool!

Sharon said...

That is great. I totally agree that sometimes the little things are actually HUGE. He did an awesome job. Can't wait till my little one can write her name without any help.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails