Monday, October 13, 2008

The Potty Chronicles

The saga continues. My sil I think puts it best when she says "potty training is not for the faint at heart." Maybe that is my problem...
Last week I buckled down and tried to work more with the kids on this potty training business. But I'm still so bad at it! I have a hard time being consistent, I think. I printed a chart for them to put stickers on, and that seemed to work at first but eventually the newness began to wear off. As a side note Miss Thing got a little possessive of her chart. Any time William would even look at it she would scream "mine!" I also found it funny that she started choosing all the pink stickers, once they ran out she started in on the hot pink stickers. I even caught her taking the pink stickers off William's chart and putting them on hers. What is it with the pink??
Back to the potty story. I tried not to get too frustrated, especially when we had accidents (and there were accidents, I had to do laundry almost everyday). I tried to cheer them on and make a big deal when we had success. I passed out candy and ice cream (The Boy will do almost anything for ice cream), I did everything I could think of. I suppose I'm not expecting them to be trained over night and I don't really think all of my efforts have been in vain. Every once in a while one of them will give me a little glimmer of hope. The Boy, for instance, is starting to have some "dry spells," he is also not fighting me so much when I suggest we head to the bathroom. Last night he even headed in there by himself just by me mentioning the word.
We've had such a busy weekend so much of my momentum has been lost, but I think tomorrow I will try to revamp and get back into the swing of things. I just keep chanting to myself my new mantra (thanks mom!): I must do that thing which I think I cannot do.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

And remember....Success is not in NEVER falling but in RISING each time we fall...Oh I remember those days though. I promise one dry spell will turn into two and on and on. Keep your chin up Mom....YOU CAN do it!

SuSu said...

I couldn't have said it better Lynette. There will be a day you will look back and say "Wow" that didn't really take as long as it felt!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails