I stink at potty training, like really stink. I so badly want my kids to be potty trained but I've discovered that I'm so bad at it that it may never happen! They'll both go, occasionally, sometimes they'll even have some "dry" spells and I getting a little giddy thinking then end of diapers maybe coming. This morning I thought I would give it a go with Ruth. I armed myself with some Smarties and put the "big girl panties" on her. For about an hour and half I watched her like a hawk. Every few minutes (15 or so) we would go to the bathroom and she played along very nicely. I would give her one Smartie for going pee and I kept telling her she could have them all if she went poop in the big potty. And she did do pretty good, for an hour in a half. I kept trying to talk up the Smarties, but it was to no avail she ended up going in her panties. I was so sad but we did try. I was too tired to keep trying. Pathetic, I know, after only an hour and a half of it. I wonder if I had gotten my degree in Potty Training if that would have helped...
On a cleaner note, after lunch I did something I don't do enough of. We took a walk to the park. The kids had such a fun time running, slidding and swinging. It's always in those moments I say that I should really do this more but when the time comes I just have a hard time leaving my house. After we played for a good while we came home and I gave the kids "ice cream" which was really just a frozen gogurt and we sat on a swing for a while. I'm usually in such a hurry to check my phone for messages, or check my email that I don't just sit with my kids. I'm always afraid I'm going to miss something, or what if someone is trying to get a hold of me? Then I realized that what if I missed "this"? This time with my kids at the exact age they are now. I've been missing a lot of them the past 3 1/2 years while I worked full time (and at night) and now I have the chance to be with them all the time and I wander around afraid I'm going to miss something happening outside my home. It was like my own little wake up call, one that I think I probably need everyday. So if you call or email and I don't respond, well, I'm probably on the back porch swinging with the kids...
3 comments:
I think we each need that wake up call every day. Glad that your day went well, aside from the poop. I'm right there with you though. Sam did pretty good yesterday...(sigh) but that was yesterday. There has been a lot of poop at our house this afternoon and none of it has been in the toilet!
Oh, I'm just so completely useless when it comes to potty training. I don't even remember how my older daughter got potty trained. I think she peed at grandma's house once and that was it. But then she refused to poop and would hold it in for DAYS at a time, it was dreadful.
As for Kayla, well, geez, would it really be so bad if I change her diapers until she's 10, LOL (am I really THAT lazy?) The "experts" I saw say we should go cold turkey to underwear so she knows she's wet and put her on the potty every 30 minutes. Yeah, well, they aren't here doing my laundry and running around with tubs of Clorox wipes! And besides, Kayla's perfectly happy to sit in a pool of diarrhea and finger paint on the sofa, so I really don't think wet undies are going to bother her one bit! And I can't spent my life in the bathroom with her either. When would I find time to do that and still read all these wonderful blogs?
I wish I had some pearls of wisdom for you but alas I don't. We used the timmer method. I set a timer so I would remember and for a few days we lived by the timer. Ethan still in is a pull up at night time but we still have an accident every now and then. Keep up the faith, it will happen. Unfortunatly it seems to be thing kind of thing that happens when THEY want it not you. The joys of kids!
Post a Comment