Saturday, October 11, 2008

Beyond Diva

I'm up to my eyeballs in apples lately. Yesterday I made Apple Butter (recipe to follow), then last night I put a few more batches of it in the crock pot. So far today I have canned the Apple Butter and now have some apples drying in the dehydrator. I have also canned some Apple Pie Filling. Yes, I have been busy and yes, I'm exhausted. But there is something about having a table covered in jars that you have packed and sweat over. I'd like to share a quote from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf from the Relief Society General Broadcast:

The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty..

While there is still more apples to chop and make something fabulous with I'm about to call it a day. I think I'll take a break from apples tomorrow. But come Monday it's back to the kitchen for me...there is much more to create!
This Apple Butter recipe came from my wonderful sil, who is queen of all things fabulous:
Apple Butter
3 lbs. apples, cored and sliced
¾ c. brown sugar
¾ c. apple juice
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon all spice
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves

Spray crock-pot with non-stick spray. Combine apples, brown sugar, apple juice and lemon juice in the pot and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove lid, add spices and blend together (I used an immersion blender). Cook on high for 2 hours, stir after an hour.
This makes about 2½ pint jars of apple butter. It is great on toast and truly fabulous on toasted English Muffins. Enjoy!

4 comments:

SuSu said...

Wonderful and so satisfying.

Amy said...

I think the official title is now Domestic Goddess! Great job. I was feeling a bit ambitious this afternoon, nothing like you, and made Pumpkin Oatmeal cookies and I have stew simmering away on my stove. I will post the recipes on my blog. I think the stew is going to be fab. It has fresh rosemary in it. The smell is wonderful.

Kim said...

That looks yummy. My MIL sent us Apple Butter from TN that she canned. My mom loves to can also so we'll have to try this one!

Jean said...

I love that Elder Uchtdorf talk! It really spoke to me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails