Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Memories: This Time Ten Years Ago

This technically isn’t a Christmas memory.
But it is kind of, to me.
It was 10 years ago, the day after Christmas, that David first spoke the “M” word.
This is how that conversation went.
D: I think maybe we should start talking about marriage
Me: Ooo-kay
Translation: You can talk about it all you want
Somehow, though, he missed the translation. The “okay” was enough for him and the next day he went out and bought a ring. He had plans of waiting until Valentines day. Giving me time to get good and ready. But things never turn out like you think they will. And when the dude behind the counter told him he had 30 days to return it it was like a stopwatch in  his head started going off. Then it turned into a hot potato that he had to get rid it of as soon as possible.
In the days that followed I found out, since he couldn’t (and still can’t) keep secrets, and began the first in my freaking out series. My sister, who took part in the “finding out,” then started coordinating things. She staged arranged for David to speak with my father. More freaking out on my part.
Then on New Years Eve we spent the evening together talking things through. This helped lessen my freaking out. The conversation kept building and building until finally, at 11:20 pm, he popped the question.
As funny, and crazy, as everything came together it couldn't have been more perfect.
P2180003

3 comments:

SuSu said...

A perfect union I might add. Oh and I love the hot potato reference. I guess the only thing better would be if your picture could have been on top of the world!!

Mary and Dean said...

Ah Yes! I remember it well! Miss you guys and are so happy to have been a part of this memory!

Toni Marie said...

love that story!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails