Thursday, December 23, 2010

This Christmas

Has been unlike any other. First of all we haven’t put up any Christmas décor. Which makes it hard to get into that Christmas spirit. I never realized what a difference a Christmas tree makes. So I’ve been trying to do other things to get us all a little more into that Christmas spirit. Having kids helps. They, especially Miss Thing, is so excited for Christmas. Almost everyday she asks if it’s “Christmas yet?” And almost all of her made up songs (some days she is a persistent state of singing) involve something to do with Christmas.

So here is a little bit of my rambling about this Christmas season.

Last Saturday David took the two big kids, one at a time, Christmas shopping. He wanted them to pick something out for each of their siblings and their mother. Miss Thing knew right what to do. He said it was so funny watching her. Then when she got home we wrapped the presents she had picked out. That wasn’t before she tried to tell everyone what she had got them. We’re working on that one. Then when The Boy came home with his things and we went into my room to wrap them she followed us in and got a sneak peek at her gift from him before we realized her sneakiness.

We’ve also been asking them what they want for Christmas. Miss Thing has been saying she wants “A robot, like me. Like Goofy.” In other words she saw on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that Goofy had a robot that looked like him so she figured that’s what she needed. This will be her first disappointing Christmas. I can hardly handle one of her. The Boy on the other hand told his dad one day that he wanted a dog. When we told him he already had one and wasn’t getting another one his second choice was a cookie. That I can do.

Then on Monday we took them to go and see the big man in red. Miss Thing walked right up there first. She told him that she wanted a Tinkerbelle toy (the thing her brother got that she got a peek at, the sneak!) and then she didn’t want to get down. I suppose she had more to discuss. As to whether yelling at her brother and telling her mom “no” is naughty list material.

DSC_0322

When it was The Boy’s turn he, I think, forgot what he wanted. All that Santa got out of him was “treat.” That was right after he had handed him a candy cane.

DSC_0328

Little Miss was at a loss, as well. She tried to give her candy cane back and gave us a look that said, “and what is the purpose of this exercise?”

DSC_0329

As for me I’ve been baking up a storm. I’ve also got almost all of my wrapping done. Which is very unlike me. Usually that’s my Christmas Eve and kids in bed activity. I’m looking forward to being able to just enjoy the next couple of days.

I’m so grateful for this time of year. For those things that it makes me stop and remember. And most of all for what it is we are celebrating.

Merry Christmas to all. And to all a good night!

2 comments:

SuSu said...

Merry Merry and indeed to all a good night!

Mel said...

Merry Christmas to you! My Emily won't go anywhere near Santa. However she is more than happy to accept any offerings from him! Our kids are in bed, and we have just spent 2 hours- yes 2!!- read the manual Neil- putting up a new trampoline in the garden for the kids. I think they are all asleep (Ben's a sneaky one) so Santa, here we come.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails