Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Break Adventures

Last week, during Spring Bring break, I decided we were all in need of some adventure. David was headed off for a camping adventure towards the end of the week. I thought that would be the perfect time to have our own little adventure. I forced suggested David's mom come along with us for all the fun we were going to have. She's so lucky to have me.
Our first stop was at Wonderscope, in Kansas City. It used to be a school that has been turned into a Children's Museum, of sorts. I don't know where I first heard about it. I might have just had in my head that Kansas City surely would have a children's museum. I did some research and found this place. We weren't sure what we were going to find, which was just part of the adventure of it all. What we found was way beyond our expectations. It was oh so fun!

Being once a school it was filled with rooms. Each room had something different. The first was one filled with lots o' balls and tracks. The kids could collect as many balls as they wanted and send them down different tracks and such. There were also lessons you could read and learn the science of things. I thought, at this point, they were slightly above my kids' heads so I skipped pointing out the physics. But I loved that there was something for everyone. The Boy loved this room.

Miss Thing mainly spent her time practicing for any Easter egg hunts in her future.

From there we went to the market room. There was a barn with big stuffed horses and bottles to feed them. Lots of vegetables and carts and baskets to fill. Even a little garden area. This room was a little full so we didn't stay long.

Then to the health room. They had play doctor kits and lots of learning stuff on the walls.

I just loved that there was something for almost everyone in almost every room.

They even had fun things to explore and play with in the halls. I'm not sure who had the most fun. The kids or Granny and mom?

Then! We found the water room. We thought we were having fun before this. Serious happiness. We spent the most time here. Surprisingly it was the least packed of all the rooms.

They were equiped with aprons and towels. Not that that didn't stop a few people from getting a little wet.

 She would probably still be there if we hadn't carried her off. Pure joy.

Eventually we moved on. We found this little room for her. Only for the under 2's. She. Loved. It. A lot. They had ramps and little steps and hideouts and slides. Everything little. And not a lot of little people in there. I think she loved getting down and being free. Free from the stroller. Free from her siblings. Free. Free. Free.

Then we had stop for lunch. We had packed a picnic for such an occasion. I had read that they had a little picnic area. It was "fenced" off, so to speak, which was nice as it insured that people would sit and eat and not get distracted.

After lunch we explored some more. They had a big Lego exhibit with an under water theme. Equiped with fins and googles for the kids to try on.

This thing was so cool. And quite popular so The Boy had to do a little sharing. The teal box is a vacuum that pushes air through all the tubes. There were a bunch of light weight hankerchiefs that you push into the tube (that's what The Boy is doing). The green nob lets you close off different tubes changing the direction of the cloth. Then there is a few different "outs" for the cloth to be pushed out of. He was totally enthralled with it and it was hard to pull him away.

We had one more room to visit before we left. The Art Room. Miss Thing was drawn in because she saw the painting going on. Apparently I don't let them paint enough (which is true because we hardly ever) so this was something she couldn't leave without doing. Do you notice the H? We've been practicing her name as of late. She has the H and the t down. For some reason we're working backwards.


The thing they didn't see, and I did nothing to point it out, was the wall of mirrors. Vanity mirrors, with chairs. And lots and lots of face paint. It was a spot for kids to sit and paint their own faces. I was highly amused watching it. But felt no need to point that out to my children who were quite content to watercolor for about 3.4 minutes and then they were done with the place.

It was so much fun and I'm so glad that I took the kids there. It was so nice to be out of the house and doing something that they would enjoy. But the time did come for us to leave. We had more adventures in store!

Be adventurous

4 comments:

Jenna said...

What a fun fun place and a great way to spend time as a family!

Unknown said...

Can we go again this summer?

SuSu said...

Looks and sounds like great fun!

SuSu said...

Oh and love the new "tags" on your photos.......perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails