One more blurb about our time at the Basketball Tournament.
While I was waiting around to watch The Boy (not realizing he was at that moment “doing his thing”) we got to watch a lot of other athletes.
Particularly those in wheelchairs. We watched as we lowered the hoops so they were easier to access and we watched as aids, coaches and probably some parents assisted the athletes in shooting baskets. Some were very present and very much able to hold the ball and shoot on their own. Other’s required the help of someone to hold onto the ball and throw it towards the basket.
If I was a crier…
I watched amazed. And as I watched I thought about my own roll. My roll as a mother of children with special needs. My thoughts were mainly that I am not that person who helps in this way, who provides this type of support. Almost at the same moment I also realized that there are those who are here to provide support, be the aide or be the coach and those that are here to be the parent. We all have different rolls when it comes to these amazing children. And I am ok with that. I can’t be everyone. But I can do my best to be the mom.
It was a tender moment. A tender mercy to come to this realization.
I am extremely grateful that all of my children have teachers, aids and even coaches who will work with them and do the best they can at the job they have. It’s overwhelming for me to think about sometimes and all I can think to do is be ever so grateful. Which I am.
*****
And now for a funny story. A little laughter through tears, if you will.
The night we were there David declared we would go to Golden Coral. He loves buffets, I do not. But I agreed to go, that’s the kind of girl I am.
While there MT found a new love. Cotton Candy.
We had seen commercials for it on TV but we weren’t sure if this particular restaurant would have it. We tried to prep her for that worse case scenario.
Fortunately her high hopes were not in vain.
After she had finished the first round and we went to the bathroom to clean up she asked, ever so politely if she could have more.
When I said, “I don’t know.”
She responded, “Please! I’ll give you money!”
I couldn’t stop laughing after that. And I couldn’t say no either.
So round 2 was had.
And I turned down her offer to pay me.
That’s just the kind of girl I am.
2 comments:
Oh that girl!
I probably cry plenty for the both of us, so your tears are covered. ;)
I have tears-a-plenty!! I love that she loves cotton candy!
Post a Comment