Lucy’s sudden arrival to our family has pushed me into a very reflective state.
I’ve been trying to decide when her story began.
It could have began with this girl
Proof that I did actually study in my college years
Her name was Meeka. I remember the day we picked her up. I was a sophomore in high school. And while she technically was my mother’s dog she had a way of making us each feel like we belonged to her.
But then again her story might have started with this guy
I do miss him so.
After he died I wasn’t sure I would want another dog. Although I also knew I had to let go and at some point be at least a little open to the idea.
So when I told David I might be getting close to getting ready he started looking.
For months and months he looked. He dragged me to pet stores. The kids fell in love with almost everything they laid eyes on.
Then last Sunday he was checking ads (on Craigslist) in the morning and came across one and called on it but received no answer. When he told me I decided to look and see if I could find something. And I did. I gave him the information so he could look into it. (Let’s be real folks, I don’t do any calling. That’s his job)
He got a response almost immediately and ran upstairs to show me pictures. At first I wasn’t too interested. But after talking it over more, studying the pictures a few times and talking it over with my mother. (Surely I’m not the only person who still needs my mother to help with decisions. Especially since dogs are her department.) I took one last look at her picture and something in her eyes spoke to me so I finally said yes.
We scheduled a time for a pick up and by that evening we were on our way to get her. It was a whirlwind of a day. Throughout the day we were all trying to come up with a name for her. I knew I wanted a name that held meaning. I just didn’t know what it was. (By the way Miss Thing’s suggestion of “Fifi” was shot down, quickly) On the drive over David asked what the female version of Jefferson was. Neither of us found the answer to that. So I asked him what the female version of Lukas was. He immediately said “Lucy.” And I immediately knew, “That’s it.”
Yesterday I watched as she laid down between Miss Things’ feet while she worked on her homework and I thought about another dog doing the same thing.
I kind of think they must have known each other sometime before they each came into my life.
1 comment:
sniff sniff sniff
Post a Comment