I have been told “you have your hands full” by well meaning strangers more times than I care to count. Truth be told it is not my favorite thing to hear. I know they each think there being so clever so I just let it slide. I don’t want to rain on their parade and tell them I’ve heard that 2,400 times before. I can’t pin point why it’s not my favorite phrase. Probably because I’ve heard it so many times and in so many tones that it ends up having so many different meanings. Most think their being kind to point out my plight. Even if it doesn’t feel so kind. I was beginning to think that was the nicest thing anyone would say to me in regards to my outnumbered situation.
Until today.
Today I took the kids to the grocery store. Not usually something I do if I can possibly help it but they’re on spring break. And I didn’t think I could go two consecutive days of pajamas. And it’s been raining the past two days. And so we headed to the grocery store.
While there I told the big kids they could each pick out some yogurt. Two for themselves and one each for LM. Somehow this turns into an activity that took up the entire isle. And while I’m reading flavors to one person another person is helping the third person out of the cart. Just to set the scene. Incidentally, though, we were not the only people in the store and there were others trying to get down the isle. I called the kids off the yogurt to let others pass. As I usually do I tried to apologize to the unsuspecting strangers.
One lady waved me off and said something I hope never to forget. It was that good, and that clever. It was so much better than “you have your hands full.” It was validation, is what it was.
Are you ready for them? Ok, here they are:
“I have three kids, too. And I know that two hands doesn’t equal six worth a darn!”
Those words made my day. They made the trip to the grocery store outnumbered 3 to 1 totally worth it.
6 comments:
Love it!
Boy, did she get that one right! It can be tough to be outnumbered, and the grocery store makes it so much more interesting.
Awesome!
lol, we are on spring break too and tomorrow is the day I NEED to go, so I will think of you when I need my 10 hands!
What a sweet lady. Being huge with child and going to the store with my boys, I hear this a lot too. "Woah...you're going to have your hands full. Did you plan for this pregnancy?" Not my favorite. Anyway....you're awesome and You rock!
Have missed you, just dropped in when I should be making school lunches ;) I try to avoid taking my three anywhere all together, ever. Yesterday we had swimming, and my goodness, they can argue with each other!
That lady is a star. Hope she's feeling the cyber love :)
Post a Comment