Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chicken & Waffles

A couple of weeks ago we took our annual trip to Texas. Along the way we stopped in Oklahoma City at Mama E’s Wings and Waffles. Or is it Waffles and Wings?

Why did we go there? And how in the world did we find it?

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Of course!

DSC_0020

Who is this kid that stops in the front of a building and poses? Oh that’s right. It’s my son.

We weren’t even all the way through the door and the lady at the counter asks, “first time here?” The deer in the headlights look might have given us away. I was quite overwhelmed with their cafeteria style of ordering. And the options available. I like to be a little daring but something that ends in “feet” is a bit more than I can chew. Literally.

I opted for the waffles and wings. That sounded far enough “out there” for me. David went with the fried catfish, with okra and collard greens on the side. And the kids had fried chicken and macaroni and cheese.

We washed everything down with Kool-Aid.

First up the kids’ chicken.

DSC_0002

It. was. so. moist. Just how fried chicken is supposed to be.

DSC_0007

The Boy wanted to show me his chicken too. Although my camera noticed a boy not moving and it felt it needed to focus on him. It’s a smart camera.

David’s fried catfish. He liked it all. The big winner, for him and Little Miss, was the okra. The two of them. Went. To. Town. I was gracious and let them have it all. I am that way. A giver. And a nice person. That’s just who I am. I can’t help it.

DSC_0003

And last but most definitely not  least my chicken and waffles. I was skeptical, I’ll admit.

DSC_0005

But no more. The chicken was quite possibly the best fried chicken I’ve ever had. The breading was, from what I could tell, the same or similar dry ingredients from what the waffle was made out of. And the waffle. David is quite certain that it was deep fried as well. Just for a minute to keep it nice and crispy. I dove in and ate and ate. The David informed me that I was eating it wrong. I’m not sure who made him the authority on chicken and waffles. But whatever. It. Was. So. Good.

When the waitress came to check on us I told her how good it was and I was sure I was eating it wrong. She told me I could eat it however I wanted (take that Mr. Thing) but that most people usually ate it with syrup on top. I did try it with the syrup. But I still say it is just as good without it. It was that good.

Do you need another picture?

DSC_0006

Well alright. I do aim to please.

So, moral of the story if you’re ever in Oklahoma City you must eat chicken and waffles!

DSC_0017

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks good! C.

Holly said...

We have Roscoe's chicken and waffles out here. I drive past it 4 times every single day but I absolutely can't being myself to go in. These pictures tempted me enough to add it the list of things to do before leaving LA! Or maybe I will save my chicken and waffle experience for the next time i am in OK? Anyway, they look scrumptious! Btw, Chris was just mentioning how much fun it was hanging out with your family last 4th of July! I agreed!

Toni Marie said...

i was just in OKC! next time i'm there visiting my bro we will stop at waffles and wings...or whatever :)

Amy said...

I have a friend that lives there. I'll tell her about this place. I've had it once, not a fan. But can one really get good chicken and waffles in Utah? Probably not!

SuSu said...

That's crazy food!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails