I've been starting to notice lately how Miss Thing has started to act towards her brother. A few months ago I found them after church like this.
Buttons are not his strong suit. She hasn't figured them out either. But she recognized that he needed help so she was doing her best to give it to him.
Then yesterday something else happened. We were leaving church and The Boy was not thrilled. He wanted us to sit in the car and wait for his dad to come out. The rest of us were hungry and wanted to head home. We waited a few minutes but knowing the friendly man I married I knew he could not walk through the church building and out again in two minutes. Virtually impossible. I explained to The Boy we could wait for him at home. Then had to keep explaining it. Finally Miss Thing said, "Stop! Let me talk to him." So she proceeded to explain. That seemed to pacify him enough and I was able to distract him with rolling the windows down until we got home.
Once there he was reminded that he hadn't wanted to come home in the first place. He wanted his dad. I was able to get him just inside the gate while the rest of us went inside to change clothes. I came out to find him sitting, still just inside the gate, in the rocks, determined to wait it out. Once again I tried to convince him to come inside to change clothes. He had no intention of listening, let alone doing whatever it was I was asking him to do.
Out walks Miss Thing. She asked what The Boy was doing so I told her. Then she said, "Let me talk to him." So she goes down the steps to and sits on the bottom step then says, "You need to do what your mom says. Come inside. Change your clothes then wait for Dada." To which he responds, "yeah!" and jumps up, climbs the stairs and walks inside.
I was so struck by this experience. Amazed that she could get through to him. Amazed that she recognized that she could get through to him. Just amazed. It does give me hope for what's to come for her. She may not always like what her life is like. I don't always like what my life is like. We all have those days. Even so I think she is built for it. These experiences help me see that she will be able to handle things far and above what I think she is capable of. I love that feeling.
Be amazed

8 comments:
Oh I loved this post!! One of my all time favorites! I've thought often about "Miss thing" too about how her life will be different and have a lot on her shoulders, but I know she was planning and preparing for this long before we knew and she's going to be a fantastic sister to them both. What an amazing little girl! I just love her.
The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree; as I find her mother to be pretty amazing as well. You were both built for greatness. Love you both!
I agree with Ashley, one of the best posts ever. All her stubborn, hard headedness is going to take her far!
Incredible. Simply incredible. And wonderful. Thank you for sharing.
When Luke was born we worried that he would not have the brotherly relationship with Ben that we had been looking forward to in our boys. How wrong we were. And yes, it will be different, but will build in our children all those things we so admire in others. Ruth is amazing. And so are her siblings, who after all have to live with her too ;)
different is good and, even though we don't always understand right away. I love that kids understand each other, especially those two. Great post and pictures!
What a sweetheart! Sounds like you have some amazing kids. I love those tender moments, thanks for sharing yours, they are priceless.
I'm so glad I found your blog! Loved this post about Ruth. We have three awesome boys. Our son with DS, Ben, is in the middle. I see both of my other sons forming their own bonds with Ben. I love when they tease and wrestle him, like they do with each other. And I love when I see them lock the gate, or shut the door so Ben is safe. It's such a journey!
Thanks for sharing...
Post a Comment