Going into the music program the other day I really had no idea what to expect. I thought about it most of the day. The program itself as well as the whole idea behind it. We've never had this kind of experience before. So it has caused me much much much reflection. This is what I've learned:
Having a child with Special Needs you quickly find out that the littlest things are the things you become most proud of. Those little milestones that come so quickly, and sometimes effortlessly, to those without, in our case, that extra chromosome. And so when we reach a milestone it's a big deal. Just last week Little Miss started consistently drinking from a sippy cup. I cheer her on each time she does it. I tell people that come to my house. It's a big deal, to me.
Those, what I'm going to call, "typical" proud mom moments, aren't something I think much of. We don't have him in sports. A decision we, as his parents, have talked at great length about and don't take lightly. So we have as of yet to see him "perform" that way. At church, while some kids his age have had the opportunity to give a talk or share a scripture in Primary he has not. Those who work with him in Primary don't completely understand what he can and can't do. To be honest I'm not sure they even know what to do with him. They work around in, not so much with him. I can't fault his Primary leaders for this entirely. None of them are "trained" to work with children who have special needs. And what they are doing is completely voluntary. They're doing the best they can to provide spiritual instruction to a very large group of children all under the age of 12. Not a small feat.
The other thing is this. I have always felt strongly that he is just like any other kid his age. I recognized this even as a baby. Just like any baby he needed to be fed, cared for and love. Like any other little boy he likes to run and jump and get dirty. With all the ways he is just like everyone else I have also needed to face the realization that he has his differences. Because there are a number of ways that he is quite different. This was reminded to us, yet again, as we sat waiting for the show to begin and a little girl asked us if The Boy was ever going to talk. After six years of strangers asking random questions I've gotten used to it. Each time, though, I'm reminded that my kid is different. I'm finding, though, that that is okay. It is those differences that make him, him.
So with all of these thoughts and feelings I went into Thursday evening's music program not really sure what to expect. I figured he would have a place to stand and sing and dance along with all the other kids. When he got up on stage and had his own chance at the "mic" I was blown away. What's not really seen in the video is the boy next to him. He is in the other kindergarten class and also went to preschool with him. He, too, has special needs. The fact that his music teacher found a way for every single child to be included and have a part. It's beyond words.
Be proud in a good way
Be proud in a good way




6 comments:
Be Proud, as well you should be; not only of him but of yourself. In my humble opinion he has the best parents anyone could ask for.
Beautifully said...well done EVERYONE!
What a proud moment for you! I look forward to those moments in the future.
I appreciate your stand on having a child with Special Needs. He is an amazing boy with an amazing mom.
Here, here! That last picture says it all to me. Look at me and see what I CAN do!
Hurray for each and every little tiny - yet so very big- accomplishment!
Great kid, great teachers, great family, great mummy. Can't wait until my Lukie gets his chance to shine too :) Way to go William!
Post a Comment