Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Twenty (as in 20!) Loads of Laundry

That's how much laundry I have done, from Sunday to Tuesday, after having been without a washer and dryer for two weeks. Whew! Not something I recommend. Here's the story...

A few weeks ago, plus a couple, our washing machine started making a funny noise. Not good but my response was, "oh well, you still have a job to do. No one cares when I don't feel good!" I'm not the best person to come to when you're sick. My sources tell me I'm not easy to live with. The Noise kept getting louder and more frequent until two weeks ago when it finally quit. Not the noise, the washer. I sighed and then took a few loads of laundry to David's parents. The repair man came, days later, to tell us we had a ball bearing issue. Bad ball bearings. Then he called later to break the news, how much? To fix it would have been about half as much to get a whole new one.

So we hemmed and hawed for a little while and I took a few more loads to David's parents. I was torn because of where we have to put the thing. The broken down one was all one unit (the dryer still works!). So I thought that that is what we would have to go with again. And, let's face it, I'm not sure how much longer this little two bedroom house is going to hold out for us. So I was reluctant to spend so much on something that we would leave here. And then we went shopping.

Turns out there are such things as stackable washer and dryers!  What will they think of next?! We could get a washer and dryer and then still take it with us if and when we move. It's like having my cake and eating it too! So that's what we did. It took a few days to get here. Then it took a few days of sitting in our kitchen. What with Christmas and all. Finally, on Sunday, we finished hooking it up. Then stacked it (I even helped, so I really can say "we".) And. It. Is. A. Beautiful. Thing.



 Ain't she purdy?



 My favorite part? I can see myself! Look there I am! Hi, me! I love watching the wash throughout the cycle, it's hard not to sit for 43 minutes and watch the wash go.



 It has all these new buttons I'm still trying to figure out. I'm starting to feel like my old washer and dryer came from the dark ages.



 I'm not going to lie. I like shiney things. I think my mil put it well when she said, "Did you ever think there would be a day when you would be so excited over a washer and dryer?"

5 comments:

SuSu said...

I still remember our first washer and dryer (I say our because your Dad uses it as much as I do; well he does now anyway!) They were green, olive green! I loved it, I can still picture it in my mind's eye!

Thanks for the break; Pandora is still here.

Mel said...

I'm laughing out loud- you crack me up. I got a new washing machine about 2 years ago, and was I excited! I can't believe how much washing I do these days, and how excited I was. Yay!

Bug said...

cool! I have washer/dryer envy.

Mary and Dean said...

Oh the jealousy. I wanted those kind so bad but didn't have the clearance in my laundry room without removing the door. However, I never thought of stacking them. Hmmm it's an idea. Can you reach the top of the top one or do you need a stool? I am not making fun, just doing a little research.

Amy said...

Mary and I must think the same. How do you reach the buttons on the top? (I am making fun!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails