Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mission Accomplished

A few weeks ago my mom called me and asked if I wanted to meet her in Salt Lake and surprise Amy, my sister, for her birthday. Of course I said yes! Immediately we started planning. We were so careful, telling only a few people. We didn't even let her husband on our secret. We were so worried she would find out. She has a way of figuring things out, despite your best efforts. We knew we had to be extremely careful. As the time drew nearer it got a little harder. Every time one of us would talk to her we had to call the other person to tell her everything that Amy had talked about. We kept coming up with the same conclusion, she has no idea. Even so we still made up just enough stories so she wouldn't suspect us coming traveling day.

Last Friday was that day. I had told her that I went with The Boy's class on a field trip so she wouldn't trying calling me. With Little Miss as my traveling companion (by the way traveling with only one child is something nearing heaven on earth) we set off for Kansas City to catch a plane. Early on in the day I had a headache settle in. As we approached Salt Lake my stomach started to hurt. I figured I was just hungry. Once we got to Salt Lake I had a couple of hours before my mom's plane landed. I stopped and got a bagel, went downstairs to get my luggage (the whole time nervously looking around "what if she's here!?"), then sat down to wait. Even after eating I still felt sick to my stomach. We only had to wait about an hour and half before my mom came. We got her luggage went and picked up the car then we were on our way.

The closer we got to her house the more nervous we both got. I really thought I was going to throw-up at this point. We parked across the street from her house and down a house or two. We had called her neighbor (one of our accomplices) to have her check on her for us. She told us they were just sitting down for dinner. We had written out a little poem that would lead her downstairs to her salon, then wrapped it up fancy. I put it on the doorstep then rang the doorbell and ran. With our hearts pounding we waited. And waited. And waited. After what felt like forever, although was probably just minutes, we called her neighbor back to see if she had opened the door. She had so we knew that she should be coming down any second. When she finally came she was in such shock. She had absolutely no clue! We were so proud of ourselves. After the initial loud and laughing and shock of it all I felt instantly better. No more headache. No more upset stomach. It was like all the pressure of lying had been relieved so I felt fine.

On her way downstairs, still not knowing that it was us waiting for her, she thought to herself "I don't do surprises." After the physical pain I was in for lying to her for three weeks I don't think I'll do them anymore either. Even so this one was quite possibly one of the best!

I love the look on Evelyn's face, that says it all!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you, thank you! I really had no clue and it was the best birthday present. (That and the laundry that Evelyn folded and put away without being asked.)

SuSu said...

Great post. It was the greatest time.......I'm still smiling. Wonderful wonderful memories.

Jenna said...

That is fabulous!! What a great way to show Amy how much she's loved!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails