Friday, January 30, 2009

Language Barrier

I've been a mom for five years and yet I haven't been able to have a real conversation, with two active participants, with any of my children. I feel like they all communicate with me in their own way. And many of the times we can get our feelings conveyed to one another. I am always talking to each one of them, about what I'm doing, what they are doing. I'm constantly ask them questions, knowing full well that they will go unanswered. Most days I feel like I'm doing all the talking and all the listening. Those are the days that I feel the language barrier is stronger than others. There are days when I get easily frustrated that they cannot understand the messages I'm trying so hard to get across. And I know they get equally frustrated at me for not understanding the feelings they don't totally understand how to express.

But then I have little moments, glimmers of hope really, that remind me we are on the right path. I had one such moment happen yesterday at a very unlikely place. The girls and I had just dropped The Boy off at school and were beginning our long list of errand running. One stop included a bite to eat at Sonic (I needed a Cherry Limeade Slush to get me through the day). I had asked Miss Thing if she wanted chicken strips, "yea!" was her response. Then just as I was about to order she said, "No I yant hot dog." "Okay," I said and then I ordered her what she requested. While I sat there and waited for our food to come I couldn't help but think back to our little exchange. It was so pleasant, for lack of a better word. There was no screaming, no one was getting frustrated and everyone got what they wanted. It isn't as if I have never heard her request something. Daily I'm woken up with her standing at my bed, "I yant ma!" (Translation: I want milk). I suppose the thing that struck me was that I had offered her one thing, that she agreed to, then she changed her mind and communicated what she really wanted (that was also available). It was my own little personal slice of heaven...right there at Sonic.

8 comments:

Erin said...

I can relate a little bit. Olivia does do her fair share of talking and I'm grateful for that. But when she's not here, it's me and the younger two, I find myself going about my day not talking at all. I'm sure it makes my little ones feel bad even if they can't really communicate back.

Emily said...

I'm a post behind, but I totally agree with the power of suggestion in names and stories/associations. We read in "Charlotte's Web" the line "Henry fussy, remarkable!" And we would quote it a lot about Henry when he was first born and typical baby-fussy. It has hit home a bit too much since then though. If I think of a better line for Mary I'll pass it on.

Amy said...

I love days when they get it. Or maybe it's I get it. Love the pictures of the girls. You commented that Evelyn was looking grown up, just this morning I was thinking she was looking tall. Funny how they grow...

SuSu said...

I love how those special moments can happen when we least expect them. Which reaffirms that Heavenly Father is always watching over us. I read this thought the other day and think it is worth repeating: "Communication does not begin with being understood, but in understanding the other person." QBQ

Rachel said...

Which general authority said that precious times in motherhood come in "moments"? I think it was Ballard. Sounds like this was one of those. Yay! Love the sister pictures!

Jenna said...

That is so wonderful. And the most important thing is that you took a minute to think about it and recognize the significance!

Jess said...

The pictures of your girls are so unbelievably cute. That is definitely a rewarding mom moment right there!

heidi and tom said...

Just had to say that your girls are SO beautiful and yay for communication! Life gets a little easier when that happens.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails