Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Counting My Blessings

I love to go on trips. I love the list making preceding those trips. I love to get myself organized and prepare everything. I love the anticipation leading up to the departure date. Eventually, though, the trip comes to a close. Normal life must resume.
For over a week our family embarked on one of these trips. My favorite kind, to visit with family. I find it funny that as we were growing up we couldn't seem to get out of the house and away from each other fast enough. Now, just a few years later, we travel thousands of miles just to spend a few days together. For this I am grateful. I am grateful that I can call my parents and brothers and sisters my very best friends. I am grateful that, while it does cause chaos, all of our children are close in age. I'm grateful that each of my siblings took time out of their busy lives to come and spend time with my family and I after my surgery. I am grateful that my family can see past the way my children may look or act and see them for what they are, as a son and daughter of a loving Heavenly Father. I am grateful that we each were raised with a knowledge of Jesus Christ and we each, now, have our own testimonies of Him and are raising our own children in the same way. I am grateful that our family can be together forever.
On Thanksgiving Day my sister-in-law shared with us a favorite quote of hers and then opened the floor for anyone to share the things they are grateful for. It was at this point that my eyes filled up with tears and all of these things flooded to the surface. I was unable to voice my feelings at that time, but I am grateful that I can do so now.
The mere act of writing down things that I am grateful for only causes me to think of more things I feel so blessed that they are in my life. A few hours ago some very dear friends of ours left our home as they embark on a very special journey. One that will take them away from us for some time. I am so sad to see them go. They have helped us in so many ways, more ways than I can share, in such a short time. It wasn't until this past July that I realized the great value of their friendship. I am so grateful for them, they will be greatly missed.
I am grateful for each one of my children, even though at times they make me want to pull my hair out. I couldn't imagine my life without them. I can say the same for my wonderful husband. When he asked me to marry him I made him promise to make me laugh everyday before I said yes. I would say that, with the exception of one or two days, he has definitely lived up to that promise. I am grateful for laughter in our lives. Due to the events in our family over the past year, I am grateful to have my life.
Most of all I am grateful for a knowledge of my Savior and of my loving Heavenly Father. I know beyond anything that They exist and that They know me.
I started this post with the intention of documenting our little trip, but I like the direction it has taken. I am grateful that I have so much to be grateful for!

8 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

OMG - 11 little jammies. so cute. I love it.

SuSu said...

Note to self: Be careful when reading Kimberly's blog at work, tissues might be necessary. Thank you for sharing your testimony, it strengthens mine.

Rachel said...

What a great picture of matching PJ's! We've got to get one like that! Thanks for your thoughts...

Jenna said...

Family is amazing, I realize how much after living away, it stinks!

Nicole said...

You did a great job of putting things into perspective and helping me remember all that I have to be grateful for. Sometimes amidst the craziness of life and trials we forget how truly blessed we are. Thanks!

Quarantine Coronacation said...

What a beautiful testimony Kimmy. Thanks so much for sharing your deep feelings of gratitude and faith.

Your expression of your testimony will be valued by your children as they read it one day.

I value it too. It touched me.

Stacy

Nicole said...

Your kids are so cute! My daughter Emily was born with DS on oct 29 of this year. Hope you don't mind but I became a follower of your blog.

Cristi said...

You are such an inspiring person, Kim!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails