Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Not My Thing


There are some things I just don't do.
As I am known among members of my family, I don't do mushrooms so well. I just have a heard time with the thought of eating fungus. I don't do olives (that's inherited), but I do olive oil. I do not like a shortened-nickname-version of my name, that I went by when I was younger and now just makes my skin crawl. I don't do bugs in general, if they are outside they don't bother me but inside I just can't stand them. I have a very brave husband who takes care of all of these things, including spiders, for me. One big thing I do not do is mice, especially the kind that come into ones house. And here is the reason for this post...

Last night I had just gotten kids to bed and was watching a little T.V. when I see some movement out of the corner of my eye, I looked down just in time to see a little brown mouse run from the entertainment center to the couch. There are so many reasons why this just is not a good situation for me, the main one being that my brave husband is not around at the moment. I immediately got on the phone with his dad who promised to bring over some traps. Then I called that brave husband who sat with me on the phone until his father arrived. He kept trying to take my mind off the situation but I couldn't get away from my present circumstances. Perhaps sitting up on the counter helplessly was what was making it hard to forget why I was up there in the first place. My rescuer came and set up some traps and started to instruct me on what to do if we caught the little sucker. I didn't even let him finish before I instructed him that I don't do these things! He laughed and promised to come if I called. After he left I quickly went to bed, only to realize I had left the porch light on. I quickly got out of bed (while talking to my mom on the phone, somehow that made me not feel so alone. If the mouse attacked me I would be on the phone and would have proof) ran like lightening to the back door to turn the light off. After talking on the phone, or really listening on the phone she did most of the talking, I said my goodnight's and fell asleep as quickly as I could. I woke up a few times thinking I was hearing something, perhaps a trap was going off! It was not to be, each one sat in just the same manner as they were left the night before.

So here I sit. Paranoid in my own house. Pathetic, I know. I have learned that I do much better in the daylight. And I will say this, my trusty watch dog is enjoying his new found freedom. I've picked up everything off the floor (to eliminate any more hiding places) and swept the floors. The next thing I need to tackle is the couch, it is a den for all things The Boy tries to keep away from all of us. It needs to be pulled out and cleaned under, but I can't seem to find the bravery to do it by myself. I am making David's parents come down for dinner tonight so maybe with them holding my hand I'll be able to conquer that one. I'll be grateful when Friday is here...

So much for the watch dog...

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I hear you on the mouse thing!! I was at a friends house for a "girls evening," it was a little later so there were only a few of us left when I saw a mouse in the corner out of the corner of my eye... all I can say is that I wanted to be on the counter, I couldn't believe how calm the other girls were! Needless to say I was glad it was not my house and I didn't have to deal with it (I've never had a mouse before... scorpion yes, mouse no.) Your posts are fun to read... it makes me miss good ole dorm 1 days!

Jean said...

This happened to me right after we got married...never did see another mouse and Michael still insists I was seeing things but I KNOW WHAT I SAW!!!

SuSu said...

That is what he is suppose to do watch and wait.......you just had to give him time for the little predator to make his move so Jefferson could........no sense wasting energy when the guy is in hiding!! Jefferson was in control all along.......who knew??

Jenna said...

Wow, I totally feel for you! I had a mouse situation last winter (but at least it was in the garage). It was pretty traumatic. I'm glad your dog took care of business for you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails