Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Voted

Yesterday on our way to school I started talking to the kids about election day. And that today we would be able to vote for who we wanted to be president of the United States. The Boy immediately raised his hands and yelled, “me!!” I loved his enthusiasm. MT was full of questions. She was insistent that I talk my voting decisions over with her dad. I tried to explain that it’s ok if people vote differently and that was something that makes our country so special that we could all make our own choices, even if they’re different.

While this isn’t my first time voting I feel like this election is different. I’ll be the first to say that I detest politics and think almost all politicians need to be told what I tell my children, “stop worrying so much about the other guy and take care of yourself!” Even so I feel more of a sense of pride that I can have a vote this time around. I was prepared when I went to the poles today on who I would vote for but I was unprepared for the rush of emotion when I saw the names show up on the ballot. For that confirming feeling that comes when I’ve made the right choice. That I was just where I should be at that moment.

Is it age? Or the fact that this world is constantly changing? Not sure. Perhaps I’m just becoming more passionate about my convictions. About the things that I hold dear and my responsibility to stand for those things.

It’s a beautiful thing, this country.

For the record I didn’t vote for The Boy. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Ashley Allred said...

I had that same feeling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails