Another week has come and gone and Amy has gone with it. We (at least I) had such a great time just being able to visit, seeing as we don't get that opportunity very often. It was nice to have an extra set of hands that could see what I saw (as far as what needed to be done). She was worried that Ruth wouldn't like her and the first night she was here Ruth was all over her, literally. The next morning she (Ruth, not Amy) was throwing a fit about something and Amy put her on TO which Amy thought would probably end their relationship. But after Ruth got over whatever it was that she was on they went back to being best friends.
Yes, it was lovely to have her here. She did my hair, picked out my clothes and even sat me down and plucked my eyebrows. Just like old times! Come back soon, Amy!
I was blessed with a certain gene from my mother that means that I have a hard time getting rid of things...maybe someday I'll use it. Amy calls it the "pack rat gene," I am trying to come up with a nicer sounding name for it. Unfortunately for her, her DNA is absent of said gene. So it was her job while she was here to help be rid my house of these needless its. We made some progress but there is, I'm sad to say, a lot to be done. But I feel like I'm on the right track so her "if you don't use it you don't need it" therapy must be working. One big thing we got done was to get all of my baby boy clothes down from the attic (okay David did that). She went through them and picked a few things out for her boys and then she suggested I let the sisters in the ward know that they could come and take what they please. So at church on Sunday I started spreading the word. Already today someone has come by and taken 3 bags full of clothes. It felt strange to send my first born's clothes off in garbage bags. Even writing that is hard! Somewhere in my brain there is a small portion that occasionally thinks reasonably and right now that part is saying that these things are neccessary for me to let go and move on. But that hasn't always been, shall we say, one of my strengths. And yet I think it will probably be easier to part with things now than waiting for years to do it which I'm afraid would just open old wounds. I can't control everything that will open these wounds down the road but this one I can. So to anyone that needs baby boy clothes...
2 comments:
I had a wonderful time and I'm glad that my "if you don't use it you don't need it" therapy helped. Give it time, baby steps....
You are an excellent writer. I haven't thought about getting rid of my daughter's baby clothes until now. But it sounds hard!
Post a Comment